48th Commencement Procedures for Graduates and Faculty Members
1. The commencement ceremony will take place at 10:00 a.m., Friday, May 9, 2014, on the front lawn of the Alabama Southern Campus in Monroeville. *If raining, the ceremony will be moved to Nettles Auditorium. Please check Facebook and Twitter for an announcement regarding weather.
2. Ushers should arrive at the Administration Building by 9:00 a.m.
3. Graduates are to assemble promptly at 8:45 a.m. in the Gym lobby.
4. Marshals, minister, faculty, and platform guests are to assemble promptly at 9:15 a.m. in the Administration Building to put on caps and gowns.
5. Women should wear black flats (or very low heels) and a dark dress. Men should wear dark trousers (navy blue or black) and white shirts with dark ties, black shoes, navy blue or black socks. No shorts and no backless shoes.
6. Female marshals and ushers should wear dark blue blazers or dark dresses. Male marshals and ushers should wear dark blue blazers or suits, black shoes, and navy blue or black socks.
1. Graduates, marshals, faculty, and platform party should be robed and in place to begin the march by 9:30 a.m. Once you are placed in the proper marching order, please maintain your position.
2. Graduates assemble in the Gym Building.
3. Faculty, minister, and platform guests assemble in the Administration Building.
4. The procession will begin at promptly 10:00 a.m.
5. Graduates will follow the Marshall down the sidewalk toward the Front Lawn and fall in-line behind the faculty.
6. Faculty will follow the President and platform guests in single file line out of the Administration side door (nearest faculty parking) where the graduates will wait to fall in single file line behind the last faculty member.
7. All will follow the sidewalk and walk down the middle aisle to your seat. The platform guests will enter the stage from stage left (the right side if you are facing the stage). Faculty will go left and fill each seat, while the students will go to the right and fill each seat. All will remain standing until the cue to sit has been received.
Order of Events
1. Processional (Faculty and Students will remain standing until given the cue to sit.)
2. The National Anthem (Men will remove their hats.)
3. Invocation (Men will remove their hats.)
4. Welcome and Introductions– VP, Roger Chandler
5. Special Music – Southern Expose
6. Special Remarks: Chancellor, Board Member, other Distinguished Guest(s)
7. Special Remarks and Introduction of Speaker- President, Dr. Reginald Sykes
8. Commencement Address – Marshal Charles Andrews, United States Marshal
9. Presentation of Student Awards- Dean of Students Dr. Melissa Haab
a. Most Outstanding Scholar Award
b. Most Outstanding Technical Graduate
c. Most Outstanding Certificate Graduate
10. Presentation of Candidates- (Candidates stand in groups on signal) Dean of Instruction, Mrs. Ann Clanton
a. Candidates for Associate in Arts Degree
b. Candidates for Associate in Science Degree
c. Candidates for Associate in Applied Science Degree
d. Candidates for Certificates
(All candidates stand- Mrs. Clanton will give cue)
11. Conferring of Degrees – President, Dr. Reginald Sykes
Graduates will be seated (follow the usher’s cue to stand and walk towards stage)
* Dr. Sykes asks graduates to come forward to receive diplomas.
* Graduates go to the platform stage left (if you are facing the stage, it is on the right) returning to the original seat.
* The student hands the name-degree card to Mrs. Clanton. She calls out the information as the graduate crosses the stage, shakes hands with Dr. Sykes, and receives the diploma cover. (Shake hands with your right hand and receive diploma cover with the left.) Pause a few seconds for photo opportunities.
* Graduates remain standing after returning to seats until all graduates in your ROW are back in their original places.
13. Closing Remarks- Mrs. Clanton will ask everyone to stand for the Recessional march and to remain in place until all graduates have exited the Front Lawn.
14. Recessional- Platform participants leave first (same side the platform participants entered on)
a. Faculty follow platform participants
b. Students follow faculty
NOTE: Graduates must return diploma cover received during ceremony. Your actual degree will be mailed to your address of record approximately 4 -6 weeks after all degree requirements have been completed.